ESF serves a diverse client base, which includes small start-up companies, academic institutions, and Fortune 500 companies having some of the world’s largest IP portfolios. This client base values our knowledge, experience, and commitment to their objectives.
The firm atmosphere is a low-stress but hard-working environment where you can balance work and non-work activities and responsibilities.
IP Associate Responsibilities
- Draft patent applications for U.S.-based and some non-U.S.-based companies. Meet in-person or virtually with inventors, discuss the technology, and draft patent applications. Understand a wide range of technologies, or be able to quickly get up to speed on technologies.
- Prosecute patent applications before the USPTO, including conducting examiner interviews, filing responses, appeals, etc.
- Instruct non-U.S.-based law firms in the prosecution of patent applications in various countries outside the U.S.
- Conduct patentability, infringement/clearance and validity studies, and related client counseling and opinion rendering.
- Participate in IPR proceedings at USPTO.
- Communicate with outside counsel in connection with all activities mentioned above.
- Work in a wide range of technologies including wired and wireless networks and devices, wireless communication protocol technologies, media communication systems, network security, optical networks and devices, as well as medical electronic devices, and database systems.
A successful applicant must possess:
- At least 2 years of substantial patent application drafting experience, particularly in the technology areas listed above;
- Registration as a U.S. patent attorney and knowledge of U.S. patent practice and procedures;
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and a license to practice in at least one U.S. state;
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Strong writing, communication, organizational and analytical skills; and
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and writing sample via email to email@example.com for consideration.