We are a fast-growing, thriving, mid-sized IP firm that originated in the mid-80s. We are proud to boast a family-friendly culture, a casual dress code, and a very convenient commute to those living in the suburbs of Montgomery County. We serve a diverse client base, which includes small start-up companies, academic institutions, and Fortune 500 companies having some of the world’s largest IP portfolios. This client base values our knowledge, experience, and commitment to their objectives.
We are seeking a full-time, non-exempt, Docketing Assistant to both manage and maintain the docket for the Intellectual Property practice. This role attends to the day-to-day docketing functions of domestic and foreign patent prosecution, trademark, and copyright practices.
*Please note this position requires commuting to the local Gaithersburg office three times a week*
• Reviews all incoming mail related to trademark or patent matters;
• Analyzes and calculates applicable deadlines and response dates;
• Enters all deadlines in docketing software;
• Forwards docketed matters to applicable attorney/staff for appropriate response;
• Develops, implements, and improves docketing procedures;
• Maintains files in accordance with attorneys’ respective document retention policies;
• Assists in daily quality assurance review for trademark and patent filings;
• Runs customized dockets reports/status reports for attorneys and staff as needed;
• Opens new client matters in our paperless docketing, billing, and document management systems;
• Reviews and clear U.S. and international trademark and patent dockets on a daily basis;
• Advise attorneys of issues relevant to clearing the docket, and remove when appropriate;
• Assist in quality assurance review for trademark and patent filings by noting and referring any errors or omissions observed during the normal course of docketing duties;
• Maintain and update foreign and U.S. trademark and patent prosecutions in our docket systems to track deadlines associated with obtaining and maintaining foreign and domestic trademarks and patents;
• Assist in checking and updating the status of trademark and patent cases with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, third-party web sites, and foreign patent offices when appropriate;
• Perform electronic interactions with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as well as foreign and international intellectual property entities (e.g. searches, status checks, electronic filings); and,
• Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates must possess the following:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, some college required
• Minimum of 1 year of office experience, prior patent docketing assistant preferred
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite
• Solid word processing/data entry skills
• Ability to multi-task efficiently
For consideration, applicants should submit both a cover letter with salary requirements and a resume as a response to this advertisement.